Thursday, December 1, 2011

2011 Holidazzle Christmas Run!

The past two years I’ve hosted a Christmas run that I like to call the “Holidazzle.” The name was actually stolen from the Christmas parade that takes place in Minneapolis every year. As a Minnesota girl, I couldn’t resist using this title. It all started when my old roommate and I were talking about some of the Christmas light displays in our West Seattle neighborhood and I suggested we do a run to see them all. At first it was just going to be the two of us, but there were too many runner friends I wanted to invite. So, I mapped out a route that included a stop at a bar mid-way and my friends showed up with lights and cute costumes. I also baked up a storm and mixed together Christmas CD’s to give as party favors. It was a success from the very first shot of Irish whiskey at the Celtic Swell.

2010 was a bigger success and instead of just baking cookies, mixing hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps, and having holiday beers on hand, I also cooked up a couple batches of chili (meat & veggie), mixed some salads, and invited more friends! I was in a new neighborhood, so I changed up the route and included a stop at Kerry Park in hopes that we’d gather around and sing “Silent Night.” (FYI – no such luck…maybe this year).

2011 is shaping up nicely. There is an awesome group of Seattle’s finest runners and triathletes (24 of us so far) who are excited to don their reindeer antlers and Santa hats while we run up to the top of Queen Anne for shots of tequila or whiskey. I limit the run to girls only, because I don’t know too many guys who like to dress up in Mariah Carey Santa suits (don’t act like you don’t know what I’m talking about) or love Christmas music as much as I do. I have been baking since mid-November and started mixing the coveted Holidazzle Christmas CD starting in September (not joking).

Here is a list of cookies that I’m making*:

Butter cookies with cream cheese frosting – aka Jimmy’s Pink cookies from my favorite recipe book
Macaroons
Cocoa-Peppermint Patties
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Monster Cookies
Peanut Butter Kisses
Russian teacakes
Rice Krispie Treats
Mint Forgotten cookies
*yes, I realize the last two posts include cookie recipes…’tis the season for a winter coat.


And here is the list of songs on the Holidazzle CD mix: '
1.       The First Noel- Revive
2.       Silent Night- Wilson Philips
3.       Little Wood Guitar- Sugarland
4.       Christmas (Baby Please come Home) – DeathCab for Cutie
5.       All my Bells are Ringing- Lenka
6.       Angels We Have Heard on High- Third Day
7.       Home this Christmas- Justin Bieber (feat. The Band Perry) – don’t judge; this was part joke, part catchy tune
8.       Go Tell it on the Mountain- Little Big Town
9.       Please Come Home for Christmas- Jon bon Jovi
10.   A Child is Born- Rihanna
11.   Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas- Lady Antebellum
12.   I’ll be Home for Christmas- Josh Groban
13.   Gold and Green- Sugarland
14.   White Christmas- Otis Redding
15.   Frosty the Snowman- Fiona Apple
16.   Santa Baby- Pink Martini
17.   Christmas Lights- Coldplay
18.   Baby, It’s Cold Outside- The cast of Glee
19.   O Holy Night- Kerrie Roberts
20.   Winter Song- Sara Bareilles
21.   Christmases When You Were Mine- Taylor Swift
22.   Auld Lang Syne- Buddy
I highly recommend making this part of your holiday tradition; I like to host it on the Winter Solstice – the longest night of the year, perfect for admiring Christmas lights. I love the Holidazzle for many reasons. We all get in a good recovery run and nobody feels bad about eating Christmas cookies or missing a workout. It also combines several things that I enjoy in excess: friends, running, baking, and Christmas music (in no particular order). But I mostly love it because it’s a chance for me to see some of my closest friends during the busy holiday season and reflect on the year. When I first got into triathlon, I didn’t realize how many wonderful people I’d meet along the way who would continue to inspire, support, and encourage me. Thank you to this special group of friends who help me fall in love with this sport AND fall in love with life on a daily basis.

2011 Holidazzle pictures to come after 12/21! Until then, time to keep baking.

I love the my friends' favorite shoes look like this
The best part is Sam's Jewish


So funny that we ran into this kid both years

Up on the housetap reindeer paws, out jumps
good ol' Jenny Walls
I love these crazy girls

No comments:

Post a Comment