Thursday, April 12, 2012

30, Flirty, and FAST!

Although I love celebrations and recognizing holidays, I’m not really a big birthday party person. However, when you change decades (and age groups) your friends certainly don’t let you off the hook when it comes to ridiculousness. Hence the title of this post and the chosen theme for my birthday run/party.

The fancy celebrating was done in Southern California when my friends and I traveled down to Oceanside 70.3. But there also needed to be a Seattle celebration. My 30th was on April 3rd, but since I like to ride hills on Tuesdays, I opted to celebrate on the 4th and my friends obliged – true friends won’t screw with your training routines! So Tesia and Alicia hosted a birthday pub run with a few of my favorite people. It was modeled after the “holidazzle” (which I love) with a couple bar stops. We were asked to dress up and bring food for Mexican fare. The invitation said, “Girls – wear something flirty and fun. Guys – please wear something.” I opted for my favorite running skirt (worn only for themed runs and walking around Kona), a pink top, pink striped gym socks, and a sparkly headband from Sydnie.

We all met around 6:30, started our 6-mile loop around Greenlake, took pictures, had a lot of laughs, and shuffled up the hill to some bars on Phinney Ridge. Several of us were fresh off Oceanside 70.3 or Leadman125, so a shakeout run was just what we needed. The first bar stop was for a champagne toast at “In the Red” and the second was at “Prost” for shared boots of beer.

Here are some pictures:



After the run we gathered for Mexican food and sundaes! I haven’t really worried about my age for the past few years. Growing up I always thought, for no particular reason, 24 was the magical age when I would become a real adult. But then 24 came and went and I didn’t really feel any more grown up. And since then, I haven’t looked back. Celebrating entry into a new decade with running and friends was just perfect! Thanks to everyone who came out, tied one on, and ran around the neighborhood laughing. I am so lucky to have these type of friends who inspire me and make me laugh every day.

Up next, my Oceanside 70.3 race report. I usually get these written up fairly quickly, but I'm in my last big push of Ironman training and this week is currently kicking my butt.

xoxo,
CK

1 comment:

  1. I heard about this....from Brent of course....you girls (and guys) look like you had a blast, as always. Happy birthday friend!

    tn

    ReplyDelete